Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Mini Update

It's Halloween season. This means that my spare time gets eaten up by sideshow gigs, and I have little to no time to spend on commissions. However, the busk I ordered arrived (yay!), so I can get going on that after the chaos of sideshow gigs is over.

I ordered a Miao hairpin on eBay in September, and it never arrived. I opened a case with the seller, and contacted a wonderful bellydancer  who also happens to sell Miao jewelry. Unfortunately, she didn't have anything to suit my particular needs. So, what to do?

My (awesome, intelligent, genius) friend, Melissa, suggested checking Cost Plus World Market for something appropriate. Lo and Behold, she was right on the money. Have I mentioned how ingenious Melissa is? I came away with a necklace and a pair of wood chopsticks.

With a triangular file and some wire from my jewelry stash, I ground some grooves into the chopsticks and restrung the spokes of the necklace and prepared to attach them to said eating implements. A kink in the plans! The dang spokes were too floppy. The solution? Sandwich the danged things in between two Afghani coins I had laying around from my belly dancing days. With some somewhat haphazard wiring, the boyfriend and I lashed the heavy sucker to the chopsticks, and Voila! A hair ornament that will be seen from a good ways away. It's not particularly Chinese-looking (I play up my hapa heritage for sideshow), but it will do.

Have I mentioned how heavy this sucker is? Those silver coins from Afghanistan don't fool around. Good thing I only wear it for a few hours a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment